Seiko Yukiura was born in 1978 and finished
her degree in the Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering at University of Tokyo in 2000.
In the same year, she started to work at TOTO Ltd. Five years later, she resigned it and joined Design & Creation Course. After majoring in womenswear stylism, she graduated from ESMOD in 2008 and launched her own brand “sneeuw” in the next year.
- What made you wish to enter ESMOD?
- In my childhood, I love to give dolls a change of clothes, and I wished to work for fashion design when I grow up. But I abandoned that career and chose to put my energy on study for entrance exams and entered University of Tokyo, because my parents are strict and wished me to study to enrol a university and get a job, which is a stable career, and also because I was not sure whether I can be a designer. I majored in environment in department of naval architecture and ocean engineering. Even though I would not work as a designer, I still wished to work for creation and a company which manufactures familiar products, so I joined TOTO, and worked in the electronic bidet design section for 4 years. Anyway, I realised my dream to build my career in a creative industry. These four years in TOTO were full of inspiration and motivation with respectable bosses, and once I decide to do something, I always pull it off. So, I was motivated to keep on going there, but I couldn’t totally abandon my dream of becoming a fashion designer from my childhood, and I thought I should try what I really want to do not to regret my decision, so I have made up my mind when I was 26 and resigned TOTO in the next year. It was difficult to decide a school, but I got interested in ESMOD thanks to a friend of mine who work in a fashion company and recommended me it. Visiting the school let me feel serious atmosphere of students, teachers and classes and enabled me to realize many students were studying there after graduating from university or professional experience and were around the same age with me. That’s why I immediately decided to join it!
- What did you learn in the three years in ESMOD?
- My school life started from studying with inspiring teachers and students in a good environment, which I felt and expected at the school visit and was very fun, but at the same time I was quite preoccupied with assignments. But that was what I had dreamed as a school life, so I was also happy about being able to go for what I love like that. I learnt various things in ESMOD, but I developed particularly my creation concept with teachers. What I found and felt with plenty time for thought and advice from teachers and colleagues are utilized even now for my creation.
- What was your graduation collection theme?
- My brand concept is “Clean and humour”, which is constantly used from my graduation collection. Study in ESMOD enabled me to come up with that concept.
- Tell me about your activities after graduation.
- I worked for YEAH RIGHT!! as an assistant to learn how professionals work. That two seasons experience allowed me to see the entire process from project planning to exhibition, and I launched my brand “sneeuw” in 2009. In the beginning, I was too preoccupied to manage selling and it was not successful in terms of business. But when I held the second exhibition, another designer was organising her exhibition in the next room by chance, where she introduced to me a buyer of my favourite multi-brand shop who were there. She visited my exhibition and made an order and that was wonderful. That lead to selling of my products in other shops.
- Please give a message to people who wish to join ESMOD and the fashion industry!
- My precious experience in ESMOD is not only what I studied, but that I got many friends. They work actively and that aspires me. Think thoroughly what you want to do. If it is fashion, then go for it. It will definitely be useful experience even if you change your direction, so find what you can be absorbed in.